Sunday, March 2, 2008

General Exams and a Marathon

Well, I've now been studying for my general examinations for one full month. All students in the PhD program in History are required to take these exams at the end of the second year. So students spend almost the entire spring semester just studying for the examinations. I have some substantial reading lists to complete, but as long as I hack away at them each and every day I don't think my chances are too bad to pass.

In other news, I've decided to run the Marine Corps Marathon on 26 October this year. I've been running a lot, and I think that I'm not too far from being able to do a marathon as is (I've run as far as 20 miles in the past, albeit with great difficulty).

3 comments:

Moore said...

Good luck with your exam. Are you going to have your masters at the end of those tests or is that later on?

Maybe a couple of us can come out in August or September and help you train in a Rocky inspired montage.

Zacharias said...

I'll get masters' at the end of this semester, yes. As for training-- "I think we need a montage!"

Moore said...

We just need to get you a good advisory in the race. Is there some jerk you can't stand at Princeton who is going to do the marathon? Preferably someone who is always walking around really cocky with two or three hot chicks hanging off of him all the time? You know, someone who is always asking you how you like them bananas, even when 'them bananas ' is really poor grammer? You know, someone with a backback they wear on one shoulder and hair down to their shoulders and they always take their shirt off and flex for no apparent reason? They might be engaged to a girl you really like and they just constantly are cheating on her? But, like, they are also really smart and keep beating you by a few percentage points on all your homework? Also everyone likes them way more than you and you are the only one that can see what a bastard this guy is?

Yeah, we need someone like that. Then everyone would be rooting for you. Also you need to have a lot riding on it. So make him a bet. But if you win it has to be something noble, like his rich father won't tear down the after school center for inner city kids. And if he wins, then you have to walk away after declaring him to be the best. So you really have motivation. Yeah. That's what we need.