Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Avkat

After almost two months in Athens, I left Greece last Friday and flew to Ankara via Istanbul. Unfortunately, I was unable to see most of the major sights in the city since I wasn't there for long. After meeting up with the rest of the survey archaeological team, we drove to a Mejitozu, where I am now staying, to begin a diachronic project in the nearby town of Avkat.
I actually haven't done too much so far; today was my first full day of "field walking," in which a line of people walks across a designated area in a straight line attempting to spot and then pick up pieces of ceramics, stone tools, and other items of interest. The weather hasn't been too bad--the highs are in the mid-80s with light breezes-- and it cools down significantly at night. Since I don't have regular internet access, I won't be posting much until after the survey in September. I would love to go into more detail, but I just don't have the time to do right now.

No comments: