Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A Den of Thieved

...we could tell that something strange had happened when we came back to our apartments. The door to my apartment, which I share with two other students, had been kicked in. The lock had been busted as a result. The door to my room was open and all the drawers to my two desks were thrown open. Additionally my light was on. I heard shouting for the apartment next to us, which houses another three program students, and at that point we realized that both apartments had been robbed.
The theives were looking for easy to pawn items, and electronics were therefore their thefts of choice. I lost my wallet and laptop computer, which was almost three years old. Another student lost his brand-new computer. A computer case with charger (which the robbers probably thought contained a computer because of the excessive weight of the charger but in fact did not), an MP3 player, a passport, and a suitcase were also stolen from the other students. Presumeably the theive(s) put these items in the suitcase and left. We contacted the program coordinator soon after, but since it was a Saturday evening there was little we could do. The police dusted for prints Monday morning, and we went to the police department on Wednesday.
Needless, an incident like this can ruin a trip overseas. I think that many of the students will probably leave with a negative impression of Greece, despite the great time we had. For whatever reason, the loss didn't bother me that much. To be sure, I took a major hit financially: including the cost of replacing all of the items in my wallet, I am looking at $1,000 worth of theft. I don't make a lot of money, and in dollar terms I lost about half of everything I own.
Yet the experience was liberating in a strange way. At this point, I really have no distractions to studying for the program. The loss of my computer has led me to consider living without one, because in truth I do waste inordinate amounts of time online, and I do so much work in the library (which has computers) anyway. As things stand, I will probably have to get a new one when I get back, but it has been an enlightening experience nonetheless.

6 comments:

Moore said...

No! You cannot turn your back to the internet. The internet is strong in you! I can feel your anger. Good... Good. Now take that laptop and strike me down!

I got a laptop stolen once. I also had a lot of crap stolen that day, but I borrowed money that day to get a new computer so I could still be connected. But I was really more upset that I lost all my writings I had on the other computer. Because now the world will never know some of my mighty stories of vampires and possessed cafes that have forever been lost upon that computer that was probably destroyed by the crackheads who took it.

My point being, I feel your pain. And your anger! Yes! Stike me down and become more powerful then you can imagine!

paul said...

its good that you are not letting the thievery ruin your experience. its an admirable quality.

sister! so you have a sister! if you cannot be turned, then perhaps. she. can.

Zacharias said...

Hey...this is kind of out of the blue but if either of you can afford the plane ticket to Athens (a big if), I have a place with two extra rooms that I've already paid for. I'll be in Athens the next three weeks...it would be a blast if either (or both) of you could drop by. I live right next to the Acropolis. Just a thought.

paul said...

welp, sorry boi but i didn't see that till just now. although i probably wouldn't have been able to do it anyway. would have been pretty sweet though. the two of us could of done a lot of damage in Greece.
btw, have you seen any interesting wildlife in Greece?

paul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zacharias said...

I have not seen very much wildlife in Greece. On my recent trip to the islands of Naxos, Delos, and Mykanos (see above) I saw some sheep and cows, mainly on Naxos. There were a huge number of lizards around the classical ruins at Delos. But that's about it.